This recipe includes Turmeric. To read more about the many healing powers of this spice, READ HERE.
2 C. Organic Lentils, rinsed and drained
1 Tsp. Sea Salt
4-5 cups Water
1 Tsp. Organic Ginger, minced
2 Tsp. Organic Garlic, Minced
1 Tsp. Organic Turmeric powder
1 Tsp. Organic Hot Red Chili Powder
1 Tsp. Organic Coriander/Dhania
3/4 Small Can Organic tomato paste or Tomato sauce
1 Organic Onion, Diced
2 Large Organic Tomatoes diced (or 5 small Campari or roma)
2 T. Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-2 T Diced, Fresh Coriander
Add Lentils to large pot and add water. Add Turmeric, Salt and a tsp of Garlic to the water. Bring Lentils to a soft boil. Cover and let simmer for 2-3 hours until lentils are soft and cooked.
After Lentils Are Cooked
- In separate sauté pan, put Olive Oil. Sauté onions until slightly brown and very tender
- Add garlic and the ginger and add remaining dry spices.
- After onions are browned, add tomatoes and let the two simmer for a few minutes
- Test for salt and if needed add more to taste.
- After 1 minute, put tomato puree or sauce and stir for another couple of minutes. Be careful to not over-cook the tomato mixture…it should still taste very fresh and not “overcooked/stewed”
- Put all of the mixture into the lentils and let simmer no more than 3-5 minutes.
Serve over Organic Brown basmati rice. Sprinkle with fresh coriander for color and flavor.
Recipe contributed by Karima Zanotti